Rest In Tweet, Kate Spade ?Fashion Icon Commits Suicide At 55 ?
Kate and her husband Andy Spade (comedian David Spade’s brother) founded their company in 1993 creating handbags, eventually evolving into clothing, jewelry, shoes, stationery, eyewear, baby items, fragrances, tabletop, bedding and gifts.
Kate and Andy sold 56% of the company in 1999 to Nieman Marcus for $34 million, in 2006 they sold their remaining 44% to Nieman’s for $59 million – who in turn one week later sold the entire line to Liz Clairborne for $124 million…in 2017 Coach acquired Kate Spade for $2.4 billion…Kate Spade was worth over $200 million and died from suicide as a result of rumored mental health issues.
Kate left behind her husband, a 13 year old daughter, and according to reports, Kate also left behind a note….Rest in Tweet…?
— CBS News (@CBSNews) June 5, 2018
Even if Kate Spade's aesthetic wasn't your style, it was always an option and that had unspeakable power. Her designs created a language of broad acceptability. It was a uniform anyone could choose to put on and instantly feel polished and palatable in the halls of privilege.
— Jessica Blankenship (@blanketboat) June 5, 2018